Thursday, January 17, 2013

Amphibian #1 American Toad

American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus) calling male
15 January 2013, Permanent marker, 11" x 13.75"


This is another piece based on a photograph previously posted on The Naturalist's Angle. It's one of my favorite frog calling photos that I've ever captured. I think the most interesting details of the photo are the ripples in the water generated by the vibration of the toad's body as he squeezed out his anuran serenade. I tried my best to accentuate the rippling water in my drawing and ended up creating a very stylized interpretation.

"Hey ladies, I've got the perfect puddle, lay your eggs here." 

Here are a few photos of the work in progress.

Basic pencil sketch

Outlined in ink, pencil erased, GO TIGERS!

Working on the details

As much as I love it, I think it's about time to put down the permanent marker and try a different medium for my next piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment